When driving on any road, you know that you could find yourself in close proximity to commercial vehicles.
It goes without saying that a truck driver could make a number of mistakes that cause an accident. This could be anything from texting and driving to reckless driving.
Although you don't have any control over truck drivers, you have full control over every move you make when behind the wheel. With this in mind, here are some top tips for preventing a truck accident:
- Make sure the trucker can see your vehicle at all times. You don't want to make the mistake of driving in a "no zone," as this increases the likelihood of a crash.
- Don't change lanes abruptly in front of a truck, as it takes larger vehicles a longer time to slow down.
- Never drive between two large trucks.
- When passing a truck, leave plenty of space before pulling back over in front of it.
- If you need to pull to the shoulder of the road, make sure you move over as far as you can.
- Don't maneuver to the right side of a commercial vehicle as it attempts to make a right turn.
If you do these things, you lessen the likelihood of causing a truck accident. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you won't face this type of trouble in the future.
If you are part of a truck accident, receive medical assistance and then learn more about your legal rights. You may find that the trucker caused the crash, thus giving you the opportunity to consider legal action.
Source: FindLaw, "Common Causes of Truck Accidents," accessed Dec. 28, 2017