As the weather gets cooler and the winter holiday season approaches, all drivers should brush up on the signs of drunk drivers, so they can try to avoid them. These drivers put everyone around them at risk of being in an accident that causes catastrophic injuries or even death.
While drunk driving might seem obvious in some cases, such as when a motorist is swerving all over the road, there are some other signs that you need to watch for. Here are some of the others you should watch for:
- Straddling the centerline
- Braking erratically or stopping without reason
- Driving with their headlights off at night
- Tailgating other vehicles
- Nearly hitting objects on the side of the road
- Accelerating and decelerating quickly and without cause
- Failing to signal properly
- Not following traffic signals and signs or responding slowly
- Driving more than 10 miles per hour below the speed limit
- Going the wrong way on the road
If you see a driver who seems to be driving while they are impaired, try to stay away from them. Contact the police if you can, so they can try to stop the driver, but never try to stop them yourself.
If you are struck by the drunk driver, you might suffer from serious injuries. You have the option of pursuing a claim for compensation to help you recover the money you had to spend on things related to the crash. This won’t address the mental trauma that you have suffered, but you might be able to ask for damages to get the mental health help that can assist you in dealing with this facet of the accident.