As a driver, you need to be aware of pedestrians at all times. Conversely, as a pedestrian, you need to keep a close eye on what’s going on around you.
There are many things that can lead to a pedestrian accident, including the following:
- Distracted driving. An example of this would be a driver who is texting as he or she enters a crowded intersection.
- Speeding and other forms of reckless driving.
- Failing to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Failing to signal when making a turn.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Drowsy driving.
- Neglecting to change approach based on the traffic and weather conditions.
Pedestrians are often aware of the many things that can lead to an accident, but this doesn’t always mean they remain safe. Even when paying attention, it’s still possible for a serious accident to occur.
At our law firm, we know that pedestrian accidents can be some of the most serious. The reason for this is simple: Pedestrians don’t have any protection in the event that they are hit by a motor vehicle.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, focus on receiving the best level of medical care. This will make it easier for you to feel confident in your ability to make a recovery.
From there, you can turn your attention to your legal rights. If you can prove that the driver acted in a negligent manner, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries and any other damages.